I have been really struck by the recent documentary "Mind over Marathon" (BBC One) about a group of people suffering with mental health conditions training for a marathon. I was stirred by how much of a difference it can make having somebody talk about their mental health, somebody who is actually dealing with it themselves. Not a health professional. Not an 'expert.' But a normal person, your everyday average Joe, saying "This is what it's like, and this is what I'm doing to help myself." There seems to be unanimous agreement that this is hugely inspiring, to health professionals and lay people alike.
I couldn't help thinking about this blog and my position - my 'dual persona' if you like - as both patient and trainee physio. There is no doubt my experience of DDH, like many others, has been exasperating and horrible at times. But it has also given me new opportunities. I recently met up with the research group I am in touch with, to discuss and make plans for how to raise the profile of hip conditions like this and their long term effects if not caught early. I was reflecting on the fact that I came across this research group purely by chance and am now contributing to how they move forwards. Some say 'everything happens for a reason,' and I have never been completely convinced by this line of thought. Sometimes things just happen because they happen. Sometimes there isn't a reason.
But...
I have witnessed the effects of DDH on the whole of somebody's life, both personally and in others: the physical and mental toll it can
take. I have spoken with orthopaedic
surgeons with a lifetime of experience treating hip conditions. I have listened to their frustrations at seeing so many cases too late on to prevent the progression of OA at early ages.
I am in the middle of these two dialogues and the idea of building a bridge between what is not yet known and what is being experienced appeals to me.
A couple of people on my online support group recently have mentioned the fact that they use a wheelchair these days to help them get around (yes, it really is that bad). Their hips are too far gone for preventative surgery, but they have been told they aren't allowed a THR until they are 50.
I don't like seeing people suffering.
I don't like hearing these stories and I plan to use this experience to develop my clinical skills as a physio in the treatment of young adult hip conditions. It is imperative that the early clinical signs and symptoms of DDH in young adults, subtle as they are, are picked up promptly, that the correct referrals are made at the correct time, that post-op rehab is undertaken in the best possible way to limit long term mobility problems. I will influence practice out of my experience and what I'm learning from those more knowledgable in this field.
Reference
Poustle, F. (Producer & Director) (2017) Mind over Marathon. BBC One
