On Monday a physio and a 'Rehab Assistant' came from the hospital to see me on my crutches and show me how to do steps. So I can get out now hooray! (We had to get Mark to lift me down the front steps in the wheelchair on Sunday so I could get out of the house. He took great pleasure in spinning me round a full 360 degrees afterwards...!)
Being in the wheelchair is not as bad as I thought it would be. Some people stare, but usually you get preferential treatment! Sometimes I delt with it by stating the obvious: "Do you like my wheelchair? It's blue." That kind of thing.
I've been on 2 outings already; to the park in my wheelchair with Jenni, and to Bailey Italia coffee shop with mum. I've been sleeping a lot, napping in the middle of the day. It takes me almost 2 hours to get up and washed and dressed in the morning. The easiest thing is to strip-wash in the downstairs bathroom, and I guess I'm still getting into a routine and working out how to do things on one leg.
A nurse is coming every day to do my DVT injections. They asked if I could carry them on myself every day, but I said I wasn't very good with needles (which is true!) and also I do prefer them coming in everyday, as I've had other things to ask them. For example, about some of my stitching that hasn't dissolved. I have to go to my GP about that - everything gets transferred now to care in my own community.
Jenni is up each night in the next room, doing uni work until the early hours of the morning. So she hears me sleep talking loudly or, when I'm awake, moaning in discomfort! I still can't properly sleep on my side. I keep getting stuck and having to call mum's mobile for her to come and help me.