Wednesday, 6 June 2012

2nd Week

It was a bank holiday weekend just passed, not many staff in, so I couldn't practise my walking.  I asked if my mum could come in a bit earlier on Monday to help me do some walking, and that was okay.  I made it part way down the corridor, we took a chair along with us so I could stop every so often.

I've had to suffer through the Queen's Jubilee celebrations on TV.  I could not be less interested!  The TV at the end of this bay wasn't working for a while but now it's working again.  I really hope it breaks again soon...

The OT and physio came and got me on some crutches.  I was keen to try them as I don't want to go home using the zimmer frame.  I'm a bit unsteady at the moment, I suppose it just takes building up confidence.

Also I saw an orthopaedic nurse who knew how to roll me and has had experience of looking after patients recovering from PAO.  This felt good, as I got the impression sometimes the other, student nurses are not as confident at rolling me.  When they tried it the other day and it ended in me almost crying they had this really awkward look on their faces, like they didn't know what to do.  It wasn't a very nice feeling.  But this nurse helped a lot and she has requested a ripple mattress for me.  I think it may have been better for me to have one from the start, as I have a small bed sore now, but I'm not gonna stress about it.

I tried to lie on my side again the other night.  I got two nurses to help me roll over.  But I woke up again soon after and got stuck.  I think I must have been a bit freaked out because I was shaking like crazy.  I managed to fall asleep again though, after the nurses helped me move over onto my back again.

I've had more visitors this week, and we've gone down to the hospital cafe a few times, using one of the porters' wheelchairs which are huge and decrepit!

Can't wait to get off this ward!  The lady opposite is puking up continually - not a nice sight, but poor her!  It may be tomorrow or the day after I go home.