Tuesday, 11 October 2016

The pre-surgery form of Nesting


This last couple of weeks has involved:

  • Increasing my Naproxen and discovering a new lease of life again where I can sleep painfree and walk without a crutch :-D
  • Cleaning random stuff like some skirting boards in the bathroom and a shelf I never use.  Also hoovering, lots of hoovering!
  • Starting to cook a large amount of food for the freezer.
  • Asking random questions on an online group I'm part of such as "where abouts exactly is the scar when they do the surgery under this consultant?"  and "does the hospital have wifi?"

My hip flexors keep feeling like they've run their own little marathons all by themselves.  They actually feel tired and strained from being overactive sometimes.  Hipsters will often talk about the muscle imbalances that occur from the body trying to compensate for its abnormal hip morphology.  My glute med is a bit of a malingerer, particularly on this right side.  For ages it has been loafing about whilst my iliopsoas takes all the strain.  The Pilates I was doing beforehand wasn't really getting anywhere with this, despite how hard I was trying!  You can correct neuromuscular patterns up to a certain extent, but if this abnormality exists the muscles still have to compensate in some way when you're walking around in day to day life.

The theory is that if a dysplastic acetabulum is corrected surgically it will go some way to solving this problem, so the muscles won't have to compensate in this way anymore.  Obviously a dysplastic hip will never be completely normal, even the best surgeon will not be able to make it absolutely perfect, but it needs to be corrected as precisely as possible.  My hip flexors on the left have been known to be overactive for a long time and I've even had course mates practice massage techniques on me the last couple of years to help with the discomfort.  In light of this, being told that the dysplasia in the left hip hasn't been fully corrected does seem to make sense.