Thursday, 8 September 2016

6th September: The Fateful Day

Feel like I was waiting for the 6th September for ever, for my follow up appointment after the MRI scan to decide where to go from here.  The update is:
  • No sign of OA in either hip - phew!
  • Labral tears in both hips :-(
  • Right Pelvic Osteotomy Scheduled
  • He wants to redo the left one as he says it's not been fully corrected (but we're gonna discuss after the right one)
So I signed the form with all the risks listed on it in biro: blood loss, DVT, pulmonary embolism, malalignment, non-union, neurovascular injury, hip damage... Geeez.

I don't really want to have the left one redone but I might not have a choice - if I want to play hockey again, but also if I want to delay a THR for as long as I originally thought.  It seems that my options are TPO, THR earlier, or just doing nothing at all and becoming a cripple.

So its: 1) surgery, 2) surgery or 3) cripple.  Those are my options.

I wish I'd had a better grasp of all this way back when.  I wish I had never had the surgery under my previous consultant.  But it all happened so quickly back then, I became debilitated within just a few months and I wouldn't have known, it was so hard to get the right information.  When I think back, I remember the surgeon who treated me then always seemed to be undecided about whether the dysplasia was bilateral or not (see post from 20th February 2012).  But I assumed he was experienced enough and trusted him blindly.

I woke up this morning with this weird idea of something creeping into my hip joints and causing them to decay from the inside out.  Maybe it was a funny dream or something.  DDH is sometimes referred to as Young Adult Hip Disease.  I hate the word disease... 

The only thing I can do I just decide to try and be positive and embrace it all, as what other option do I have?.  I know how to plan it all better this time, I may as well just settle down for the ride!