I called the pre-op department the other day to clarify some things, and it turns out the therapy department had me down on a list to call me, to give me some information about what will happen post-op. I could not have been more surprised. The OT who I then spoke to was so helpful and we chatted about what adaptations I might need in the house, what kind of shower I have etc.
And it sounds like I might be able to start hydro at about 2 weeks post-op! That is amazing. Already, I know it's going to be a different experience to last time as I was so long non-weight bearing and sitting around to begin with last time.
They still can't be that clear on timescales post-op, i.e. how long til I can drive, when I'll be able to go back to uni, go on placement etc. The reason for this is that it depends on when I'll be able to start weight bearing on the joint - as everyone's anatomy and the amount of correction needed is different and so the surgery is going to be a little different for everyone. It sounds like they try to get you weight bearing as soon as possible though.
This could not have been more different to my last experience of this surgery. I remember the months leading up to it, pestering and plaguing the hospital and my consultant for information. The conversation about post-op care went something like this:
Me: "Will I be able to get help after the surgery, in the house? Will I see a physio and things?"
Consultant: "Oh, yes, don't worry we sort all that out."
That was it. That was as much information as I was getting. And there are only so many ways you can ask the same question. He clearly wasn't going to give me any more than that!
I feel really glad I went to see this surgeon when I did, and that I'm receiving my care from this hospital. It's really reassuring to be given information beforehand in this way.