Friday, 14 September 2012

Using my initiative

I went and did my own little hydrotherapy session today at the local pool.  I called them up beforehand to check when their quietest times are, and if they have a lifeguard by the pool, things like that.  Then I went along, on my crutches.  I wore rubber beach shoes to walk from the changing rooms to the pool, so that I didn't slip.  They only had metal steps on the side of the pool, but I managed to leave my crutches on the side and lower myself into the water.  I did all the exercises that I do at hydro, apart from the kicking one as there is nothing to lean on to do it.  Then I saw a couple of pool attendants walk past pushing a big wheelie bin full of those noodle things (you know the long floats?), and I asked if I could use one, so, hooray!  I even got to do the exercise with that one!  (Please see the note at the bottom for an extended version of the noodle story.)   It took quite a bit of pre-planning, especially with getting there on the bus etc, but I feel very proud of myself and I hope I can do it again.

*The Noodle Story*
A friend of mine told me a story about having hydrotherapy because of some back problems she was having.  She had to walk around in the pool with this noodle thing between her legs.  She was so embarrassed, all she could do was think to herself "I don't have to be embarrassed, I am a married woman."  This story made me laugh to the point of worrying that I would then giggle at my hydrotherapy the next time I went if I was presented with a 'noodle.'  Lo and behold, at my next hydro session, there it was.  But I didn't have to put it between my legs though, just use it to move my foot up and down under the water.  Now I am worried that at some point in the future I'm gonna have to do the in-between-legs thing.  How will I keep a straight face?!

The noodle: a source of amusement for those whose life is dull and only involves rehab from major surgery.