Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Hydrotherapy


I have had a bad couple of days pain-wise.  Last week I came down another level of painkillers, so that I would be taking the codeine only once a day before bed, and the rest of the time carrying on with the diclofenac and paracetamol.  My GP is a very hard person to get more painkillers from, you have to be practically dying for her to agree to!  She said it’s not good to carry on with codeine for too long as you can get addicted.  But I have also started doing more physio exercises, so I have been in more and more pain.  At first I was just pushing through the pain, but it got to the point where I couldn’t do that, and I was really struggling.  There was pain up my side and all down my leg for most of Monday, to the point where I was crying in the evening because I was so fed up.

I had a night of discomfort and barely any sleep, and I didn't know what to do because I had wanted to go out the next day with a friend, but had to get up early for a hydrotherapy appointment in the morning.  I just wanted to get out for the day, being in the house all the time is driving me crazy, but in the end I couldn't, it would have been too much.

I have never had hydrotherapy before so I had no idea what to expect, and was a little bit unsure of myself (something which is not that common in me!)  The pool was warm, just like being in a nice big bath!  There was only one other woman there and the physio, and she gave us ecercises to do individually.  She had me doing some walking forwards and then backwards, which is possible in the water because you are weightless.  There was other basic stuff too, like marching on the spot and side-stepping, all to work the muscles.  It felt okay but she said it would be a bit achy afterwards, and she didn’t do too much as I had told her about the pain I had been in.

I went home and slept and chilled in bed for most of the day.  It was great, I felt so much better for it.  However, this evening I have managed to do something to the knee of my good leg, twisted it or something, so I could barely walk or stand up!  It’s so horrible and scary when this kind of thing happens, I don’t think I will ever get used to it.  All of a sudden everything is put out, and I have to calm myself down and think of a ‘game plan.’  For example, how to get from one place to another in the house so that I can settle down and rest.  How to get things that I need around me so that everything is to hand.  How to get meals and drinks, all these kinds of things.  All of a sudden I am dependant on others and unable to do even simple things.  I am so grateful to friends for being there for me and helping practically with so much, but sometimes, people just can’t be there all the time, as they have other things going on.  Or someone can help but it’s a person I feel awkward with being thrown into that kind of helplessness.  The identity shift from able-bodied to disabled still gets me, especially in a situation like tonight, where it is so quick.

I plan to call my GP in the morning to get my painkillers sorted out, as all this is pointless if I can’t do my physio because I’m in too much pain.  I really hope she agrees to let me have more.  I might also call my physio about the knee thing.

I hate this, I hate it all!  I want to be thankful for having this surgery but at the moment it just feels like such a long haul.  My body feels so broken, there seems to be so many problems with different things.  I know I can work through stuff with physio and things, but it feels like so much and like I’ll never get there.  I feel overwhelmed.