Monday, 28 May 2012

Surgery day

The morning of my surgery, and I was exhausted.  Firstly, I went shopping with mum yesterday to buy a few last minute things.  She had arrived on Saturday and I was her local area tour guide for the day: I showed her the route to the hospital, where to park and the short cut back.  After all that walking around I was really tired and flopped on the couch and slept for a bit when we got back.

We arrived at the hospital at 7am the next morning.  I wasn't allowed any painkillers before surgery, so while I was waiting to go down to surgery and I was getting in more and more pain and discomfort, I was starting to get all panicky and pacing (limping) back and forth across the room.

Getting the epidural put in was a bit of an ordeal but, to be truthful, I was so tired from the day before and, I suppose, from starting to be in pain again, and from the whole time I had had, I was ready to go to sleep.  I was scared, but the pain I was in then reminded me of why I was having the surgery.  The anaesthatist was so sweet, she actually stroked my head as I was drifting off and said "Don't worry, we'll look after you."  This kind of thing sounds really cheesy when you write about it, but trust me, my anxiety levels were pretty high at this moment in time and it was a much needed word of reassurance!

When I woke up, the first thing I thought was that he hadn't done the surgery after all, because, thanks to the epidural I didn't feel any pain.  After vomitting several times and clarifying with the nurse why the bed was moving up and down (morphine high) I explained in no uncertain terms that I would be running the Manchester 10k one year from now.  I think she must have thought I was mad.

I'm on the ward now and I've been pretty much in and out of sleep for the rest of today.  My surgeon came to see me just now; 'Are we still friends?' he asked.  I wonder if that's what he says to all his patients.  The thing is, I think I must have been high from the drugs because I really was feeling like everyone was my friend.  I mean aside from the fact that I and the other patients are recovering from surgery, this is a great social place.  Actually I asked my surgeon what position he'd put the screws in through my hip.  He was a bit taken aback, I'm not sure that's the most common question asked when someone comes to from a PAO!  From what he says it sounds like they are crossed over each other.

Mum is here.  I feel great actually, but really sleepy.  These drugs are amazing.