Thursday, 29 August 2019

A good day


I have not written in aaaaageesss..... which speaks volumes I think: too busy living my life instead of recovering from hip surgeries!  Here is what has been going on recently:

1. The pain I was getting after metalwork removal from the left side has subsided a considerable amount.  I'm down to just 1 Naproxen per day, I can bend forward without pain, and I can even dry my lower leg after a shower - something which had become a mammoth, if not impossible, task.  (I actually made a joke about having a damp leg to my consultant at my last appointment.  He didn't quite catch what I was saying and I don't think he got the joke...)

2. I've been (sort of) working away at some physio exercises, glutes activation in side-lying, a resisted lunge with a theraband and a single leg stand sticking my hip out to the side and back again - I don't know a technical term for that last one.  I had a really good physio appointment today.  I started some new exercises and trying to get my glutes activating instead of other muscle groups is hard, as usual, but I can do it a little bit and I'm gonna get back into doing a little bit every day.

3. I've finally finally FINALLY started the couch to 5k app again!  Last time it took 9 months, increasing painkillers and I got the re-diagnosis after attempting a 10k.  I don't know if I will be able to run properly again but I'm gonna try.  My goal would be to be able to do a 2 - 3k run once a week and play hockey on another day.  But if I can't get to that point then I will just see what I can do and have a Plan B.  Like aerial trapeze for example....i

I feel good, I'm in a really good place with my hip these days.  It's not perfect.  It still gets fatigued quicker than I would like, especially when I'm back on the ward on my feet all day.  I forgot to say, I'm on a different rotation now, working in the community Falls team.  But I still do on-call and weekend respiratory working now and then so was back on the ward last weekend.  I get niggles in  my hip but I'm managing.  The main thing is, well, I think I've come to terms with it all now.  It took a while and my head has gone in and out of some crazy places in the past few years.  My hip isn't perfect, it's not as strong as a normal hip might be (and still has a way to go according to my physio!) but I feel positive about the future and about how to manage it.

Life is good!

I have an appointment with my consultant next week, I'll try and write an update afterwards.