Tuesday, 15 November 2011

MRI Scan


I went for an MRI scan at the hospital (I would post the pictures but they just look like goo-ey blobs to me).  They had to inject dye into the hip joint so that it could all be seen clearly in the scan.  At the same time, I was given a steriod injection to see if this might ease the discomfort in the joint, this is a non-surgical method of dealing with hip-dysplasia, which can sometimes work and sometimes not.  I was really scared of the whole needle and dye-in-hip thing, to the point where I asked if they could get a nurse in so I could hold someone's hand!  The old man doctor said they couldn't do that, but I could hold his hand, so there I was shaking like crazy gripping this old man's hand saying "Is it nearly done?!?!"  I'm sure I nearly broke his hand!

I wasn't allowed to walk until after the MRI because that could disperse the dye, so I had to be taken in a wheelchair all the way from where the dye-thing happened right the way along the big long corridor through the entire building to the MRI machine as it is all one long building.   I was so embarrassed and all I could do was hope it didn't bump into anyone I knew!

They then told me that I shouldn't cycle for the rest of the day, which was not helpful as I had already cycled there and planned to cycle on into town to get to work, so I had to make my way by bus and walking (hobbling) into work.  It took ages and the whole thing felt like it had been an ordeal!  This wasn't helped by the fact that I had to re-arrange some work dates to fit around my gran's funeral in a few weeks, and my line manager was all like "are you okay?" about that - I nearly cried right there and then, I was feeling very sorry for myself.

The steriod injection did not work.  My hip became a lot stiffer for the next few days.  I noticed it at work and sitting at certain times, and had started limping a bit more.  It was at this point that I noticed the discomfort in my hip begin to worsen.