Finally got an x-ray of my left hip, after it causing me bother for about 3 and half years. As a newborn I had a clicky hip and had to be in a Pavlik harness for a while. After several x-rays I had been discharged as fine, so I wondered what was going on now. When I first went to my GP (May 2008) I was referred to physiotherapy. After a while, though, I was still struggling to run and play hockey, and then I pulled it whilst out dancing one night at a friends birthday celebrations. The next day it was irritating me, but I was stupid enough to go climbing up a hill with some friends and made it loads worse. My left knee was also causing pain, so at first I was trying to find out what was wrong with that.
You can see in my x-ray that the left hip socket is too shallow: if you imagine a line straight up from the centre point of the hip ball (the top of the femur), and another going from the centre point straight to the point of the hip socket. These 2 lines should be at a 25 degree angle. But you can see on here that is not the case, therefore a dysplastic hip! Here is a diagram to help.
However, I was yet to find out any of this, I had to go through appointments with various consultants before meeting one
who was in the right field. I found the
waiting quite hard, as by now I’d had to stop playing hockey and just wanted to
find out what was wrong so I could fix it and get back to doing that kind of
thing again.
