Thursday, 1 December 2016

6 weeks

I haven't written for a while, mainly because I've been getting on with some uni work.  I'm doing the lit review of my final year research project, so looking up outcome measures for fibromyalgia and aerobic exercise has been my pastime.  What a fun life I lead!

My mum went back home last week, back to husband and beloved dog and Scottish countryside.  I started hydro last week too (week 5).  Very kindly and surprisingly they have offered me two sessions a week - on the NHS!  Maybe they feel sorry for me and my poor pelvis, he's had a tough time.  Although last week the friday appointment was cancelled as the pool was out of order.  There has been a lovely student physio there, also in final year and we had a good chat about research projects.

I am now 6 weeks post op which means... I don't know what it means.  I've been told partial weight-bearing for the first 6 weeks, but I'm not quite at the stage of being able to use just one crutch yet.  I can do a hobbly thing, but I don't think that would be approved of!  I think more hydro time is needed and I can strengthen up.

Another thrilling piece of news: I am able to do my hip abductions so much better this week than before, both in lying and standing.  For a while my adductors kept spasming when I was trying it, I put it down to not contracting my glutes enough and slightly inwardly rotating my femur.  I have corrected these and it's working better.  My glutes need loads of work but what's new!

And I have removed my DVT stockings!  Freedom to my legs!  Albeit slightly chilly in the winter air.