So, the sad news is it looks like I won't be able to do my final year research project on anything DDH related, as there aren't enough primary studies on physiotherapy for post-surgery in adult hip dysplasia or even on conservative treatment at all (i.e. none that I could find published!). Given the remit that we have for this project those are really the only two areas I would be able to look into. I am pretty disappointed as I was hoping DDH would feature somewhere in the research project, as part of my plan for infiltrating the system, getting the word out about this condition to health professionals, world domination etc etc, but alas it's not to be.
The good news is though, a bizarre set of circumstances has led to the possibility of me contributing to some potential in-service training on hip pathologies at a hospital nearby. Someone's going to give me a call next week. It may or may not happen but it sounds hopeful.
In other news: my right hip is sore and stiff and I am starting to limp on it more. I can't turn on that hip when I'm walking. I haven't picked up any shifts for my part time job in the last couple of weeks as I was starting to find it too difficult to do. Swimming seems to help, I am swimming 2-3 times a week in an effort to desperately not get deconditioned before the likely upcoming surgery. It's strange to think that just over 3 months ago I was running in a 10k race - albeit in a little bit of pain and with the aid of Naproxen. The trauma of the other hip rapidly deteriorating in such a short space of time weighs heavy on my mind. But it hasn't quite happened yet with this one so I'm alternating between denial and positivity (or something like that!). I see the consultant next week to discuss the MRI results, I will write an update then.